Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Friday, September 2, 2011

why do beecharmers wear white? Cause we are crime fighting, bee vigilante's?!?! Duh!

I was out working with the hive this morning when a robbery happened.

I thought that it was possibly my fault.

 While in the smaller hive (the spilt from he Buckfast) I was checking the frames to see if they had any queen activity or if they had at least made a "emergency queen cell," which- thankfully they had. You see I have named this hive "The Island of Misfits."  They were the split from the Buckfast. The hive was split with high hopes of the Buckfast NOT swarming (which they did anyways) and this split (which was given multiple queen cells) to form a new and operating hive (which they didn't.)  The hive now (before I reintroduce them back into their original) is kind of an experiment. They ARE capping the unfertilized brood they have made. And they DID (finally) make an emergency queen cell. But until then I'd like to see what they feel like doing. which doesn't seem like much. SO while in there today taking inventory on them, my hive tool slipped, decapitating a bee and breaking into some honeycomb. I thought to take advantage of the situation and taste the honey. (Not the other end of the bee.) What I did though- which is prob bad- is wipe some honey (a small amount) on the entrance of the hive.  This here would give the bee's (or other bee's) something to eat. So after closing up my hives and hanging with my lady hens for about twenty minutes, I turned around to see this.

I thought- ok. This is robbery. No panicking aloud. This "Island of Misfits," IS and expirement-lets see what they can do. I did wipe honey at the entrance, so maybe this provoked a robbery.
Its kinda like hanging your prized jewelry collection on your laundry line.

I figured it was the big, strong Carniolan hive doing the robbery ( and that is a normal thing, for a big hive to rob a smaller, weaker hive) when I saw this----

The Carni's!!! Under attack!

Watch from their view point ( again) what an attack looks like! Watch as no specific flight pattern is present. At the end of the video there is a barroom brawl with some yellow jackets!



AND THEN THIS!!!

Oh the dram!
My Buckfast hive ALSO under attack!


Have no fear though- As I peek out the window to see what's going on, all is calm.

I plugged the entrance with some leaves to help the bee's in the hive ward off the hooligan bee's.


My thoughts are wandering to ----"what beehive DID come and try to rob?"


Could it have been the Buckfast that previously swarmed?  "They," say that when a Buckfast allows a queen to be superceded it could produce and unruly bunch of ladies.............


hmmmm. Could they be back for some ass kicking, honey stealing, turf wars?

Those cats!

No comments:

Post a Comment