Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Thursday, November 3, 2011

"Great! Linda! Lutra Lutra - you got some dry paper? "

"Please, sir.  I don't like this trick, sir.
My tongue isn't quick or slick, sir.
I get all those ticks and clocks, sir, 
mixed up with the chicks and tocks, sir.
I can't do it, Mr. Fox, sir."
Ash swung by last night while David was outside working- ahem - again.  It seems this little sir really loves the company of David. He happens to be enamored by watching David spilt wood and stack it into neat piles. 7, or 7:30 he comes by to see the works progress only then to follow David back to the house and wait for his supper. And last night was no exception. While David was getting the wooden poles in the ground for a pole barn he is building, Ash stopped by, sat, and admired David's work. Since David was in the midst of working he told Ash that he has to wait for his supper tonight, in which case the fox politely obliged. He stopped by later when David was grilling and ate with him then.

Thinking much about the new fox that I saw across the street today I pondered if it really was Ash or really a new gal?  I came home today around 12:30 to see that she was not across the street in the field. A little dissapointed that I wasn't able to see her bug catching antics I started to get the groceries out of the car. Walking up to the house I noticed the flash of red over near the log pile (where David was working last night) There he was!!! In the daylight (which yes is common and typical of red foxes) he was climbing on the log pile, looked at me, and sat. As I approached he laid down looking mighty comfortable. I could see the white bib on him but a dark red patch on his back???.......as I got closer and whistled his call he saw me - and bolted?
What?
Was that Ash? Ash never has run away from me? In fact he follows you around. Yes he is timid- but even in the company of strangers Ash has sat, and....hung out.
hmmm.
Fifteen minutes later- there she is jumping out in the field across the street.
Could it have been our new fox in the yard? Was it Ash looking different in the daylight?
Not quite sure but the majority of me wants to lean on the fact that - it was the newbie fox. Ash knows where the getting is good and he knows his call for food. He is an opportunist who would pass on a hotdog even if it means he has to bury it.
As I type I can see her in the field doing her thing. Digging, jumping and running.
Hopefully more to come on this later:) but until then- here is her video

No comments:

Post a Comment