Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Whats in a Name?

"Reveille" is a bugle call, trumpet call or pipes call most often associated with the military or summer camp; it is chiefly used to wake military personnel at sunrise. The name comes from "réveillé" (or "réveil"), the French word for "wake up".








When we first found out that we were going to have a baby, David had a name for a boy, and I had a name for a girl.  We both agreed on them, and decided to not look any further. The names were set in stone..(literally)

I come from a military family. Both my Mother's side and Father's side are all Navy.  With the exception of my Pepere who encouraged his six sons to join the Navy instead of the Army Air Force like himself. Not only do I have uncles, cousins, a sister and brother in laws, currently serving, both my grandfather's, and all their brothers rich history in WWII, but my Step Mother also served in the military herself.  She served during the first Gulf War.  In honor of my family- I chose Reveille.

If you are familiar with what Reveille is- how good and Patriotic you are!  If you are unfamiliar, it the military wake up call used prominently at 6am.  Its sounded off with a bugle, and its the start of the day. Its used here in America- and Ireland. David is Irish:)

But before the term Reveille is used in the military sense, its used in the French language, which simply means- "to awaken."

My family is French:)

But even beyond that, I have a special connection to a Bible verse, that I feel, was spoken to me.  Its Mark 5:41, where Jesus enters a house of a man whose daughter is suspected to have passed. He whispers in her ear "Talitha, Cumi," which means "awaken daughter."  When I gave my life to the Lord six years ago, I heard those words whispered to me as well. "Awaken Daughter," Arise from the land of the dead, walk in the light, and have eternal life thru Me.

They meant so much to me I had those words tattooed on my wrist in Jesus' language to be a gentle reminder of what He did for me.

So- we named our daughter in honor of our families rich history, their ethnic backgrounds, and because of Jesus' sweet words.

Her middle name (chosen by Daddy) means God's ray of sunshine......she has been nothing but His ray of sunshine since the day we found out we were having her.

Reveille Elle Farr was born at 6:16 a.m. (appropriately) via c-section, with a headful of hair and a smile on her face.

Daddy and Mommy, couldn't be more smitten, in love, and completely melted by her little, but big presence.

6 comments:

  1. That is for that eloquent explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Lauren. :-) The connection to Mark 5 is beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful Lauren :-) What a sweet reminder her name will continually be. May the Lord use it in her life as well as yours to speak of His love over and over and over and over...again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appropriate that she was born at 6am :). She is so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story Lauren!! She is a very lucky baby to have been born to such amazing parents!! A child is truely a gift from God!!

    ReplyDelete