Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Friday, March 1, 2013

"Make Way For Ducklings."






                        "When you don't know what you're doing it's best to do it quickly" 




 Looks like we have our own little "duck dynasty," now.


When asked "Why did you get ducks?" My answer is. "Why not."


     My sister in law got me interested in ducks a couple years ago when she lived with us for a short time.  She talked about how awesome, smart, sweet and fun they were so it got me thinking about getting some in the future. We have chickens so whats a few extra feathers hanging around to enjoy?



Knowing that it chick week at Tractor Supply I started calling daily to see when the ducks had come in.  And yesterday was the day:)

So in the morning I went, and grabbed everything we needed for these "just born," little fluff balls. Some heat lamps, shavings, chick starter and a chick waterer.  I came home and while Reveille napped set up the new pad.

By the time David got home from work- we shot off to the store to snatch them up.

They were incredibly dear and immediately sweet.

  I talked it over with David before getting them- only wanting two, but when we went to Tractor Supply we ended up getting four--- I have to say it wasn't me that added two extra;)

Its fun to watch them answer, chirp, and seek out your voice.  Right now they are set up in a large tank that is in the mudroom attached to the kitchen.  I have left the door ope so they can see me all day.

Here is a video of their "first swim," today

(some might argue that they can't "swim," yet, but after much reading I sided with the argument that "allowing them to swim," will help encourage their oil glands that will coat and protect their feathers.  After the swim I dried them off and wrapped them up under their heat lamp.  They were happay,  happay,  happay.


......and yes- due to my hopeless obsession with Duck Dynasty- their names are appropriate.

Willie is the -ahem- bigger one.
Jase is tall and skinny
Phil has the darker circles under his eyes, thus making him the "older," duck
And Si- well he's the one that's "different."

No comments:

Post a Comment