Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Little Duck That Could.........

...run?








The mystery of Jase the duck has been solved.  And by chance.





I happen to be shade blind.  Not actually color blind- but shade blind.  What does that mean?   I see colors and shades as everyone else does, no problem really.  Its just that my interpretation of them, is perhaps....blind?  There is nothing wrong with my eyes- just my view of certain colors.  


(This is not an actual disorder.  I don't believe there is such a thing as being "shade blind."  I do however, believe that I'm weird and I do a really good job at making up words, talking about things people have no idea what I'm talking about. And saying that certain colors are actually not as they appear.)



This happens to be a case of "shade blindness," followed up with a dose of opinion.



I kept looking at little Jase.

Oh no he's not growing.  He eats but not as much as the others.  He doesn't waddle?  Maybe thats because he's not as hefty as the others.  He's friendly and sweet- doesn't mind being held...this must mean he is a weak duckling...oh jeeze I hope he makes it:/


And now his feathers are coming in gray?!  

Something MUST be wrong.

But alas no.


I thought deeply about it (and that takes effort)
Could there have been a mix up at the hatchery?  

I remember last year when the ducks came to Tractor Supply they had a whole mess of them, and all mixed breeds.  There was even a sign as a disclaimer saying "we can't really guarantee what kind of duck you will get."

That caught my eye.  It was like a duck grab bag.

Cool.

So this year when we got ours I went by what the Tractor Supply man had said- "That they got Pekings, and Mallards in."   A whole bunch of small fuzzy yellow ducks, and the mallards along side of them, fuzzy and black.

Cool.


Well - thats not so the case Mr. Tractor Supply Man.

Our Jase the Duck is what is known as a runner duck.

They basically look like a walking wine bottle.  Tall skinny, long neck, no waddle, but instead a graceful quickstep, and not....well......fat.


So when Mr. Tractor Supply Man scooped up the yellow fuzzys, he happened to grab a runner duck as well.  Am I passing a blame on him? No way- the runner ducklings (although a bit smaller than the pekings) happen to be yellow and fuzzy as well.  Jase being the skinner of the dynasty bunch was how he or she got his or her name.   I couldn't call him Willie.  That would just be duck hypocrisy.


(Sorry Willie Robertson.......)

I couldn't be happier with the surprise!

And as far as the colored feathers coming in--- They are called "fawn."


Oh...not gray.

Whoops.

Not brown.


But "fawn."


When looking up fawn colored ducks- a whole slew of pictures open up.

When looking up gray duck.

Not so much.


Anywho-  heres some pics:)




Willie's butt, Jase, Phil and Si peeping in.  
Jase far right- you can see the "dark circles," and a bit of the coloring on his/her chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment