Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Andy Dufresne


"Turns out Andy's favorite hobby was totin' his wall out into the exercise yard, a handful at a time.  Andy decided he'd been here just about long enough. Andy did like he was told, buffed those shoes to a high mirror shine. The guards simply didn't notice. Neither did I... I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes? Andy crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of  smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. Five hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile."



We have a chicken that escapes daily. 


It took us a bit to figure out how she did it. No holes to climb thru. The fence too high for her to jump over.....not sure how she did it.

Until David saw her on the roof.

Seems as if she figured out that she can jump on the water pail, and launch herself onto the roof, then hop onto Fort Knox section of the yard, and onto the grassy ground.

Each day I go out there and hustle her back into the coop.


Now do you remember when I said that we named the new yard "Shawshank?"  We named it that, knowing that one day a chicken WILL figure out how to get out of that yard. Well this chicken did, which is why I aptly named her Andy Dufresne.


Fun thing about Andy is even though she has a daily bout of freedom she doesn't give up her duty of laying eggs.
Seems as if she made a little brood box for herself under the coop to lay her eggs in comfort.  I discovered them the other day when I dropped something right near the little opening that she must use as the window.

Can't be mad at a geologically aware chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment