Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Friday, August 3, 2012

Bad day for the chickens....

So it started off with two chicks missing this am.

David went to let them out at 6 am when he left for work to see that they had already broken free out of their cage. No surprise there. They have done this before. But two were missing in the little flock.  

I looked around alllll day. My heart is broken.  I saw no sign or evidence of our foxy friend taking the chicks. (Yes Ash. Cause at this farm you are guilty until proven innocent. Even the other hens were part of the interrogation.)

I walked Ash's path to see if there were any feathers. Nothing.

Then I checked and recheck and triple checked their pen. There was no sign of anything digging at the cage to get ahold of the chicks. There was no sign that Momma put up a fight in anyway... I was at a loss.

Then I saw it.

I went out to get the mail and check on the chickens when I saw the hawk flying away from the coop.

She had just gotten one of the hens.
And had taken another hours before.

Two hens and two chicks, gone.

It was a really sad day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment