Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Peeps Turn One Month Old!!!


And Getting cute ugly!

They got dem big ol dinosaur feet and losing all their peep feathers.

I haven't handled them at all (unless I have to get a loose one into its coop at night) and I did that on purpose. I want these chicks to be solely raised by Momma and to do so as natural as possible. Once again emphasizing the fact that these chicks are NOT medicated, wormed, neutered, rabies vaccinated or whatever else the chicken "man," tell you you should do to them.  (Once again I emphasize that I'm NOT against medicine for your pets if need be (example - Ash)- but when it comes to a pet that provides you food- I do not agree with any medication at all. (Mind you I'm a self proclaimed Snow White- and I love my animals)

That being said- I want to raise hens like my great grandfather did- the old way:)

As of late though- I have been trying to get them used to my presence and voice. I go out daily to call them and throw them some bread or what have yous.  I'm doing this so that if these girls (and the guys) are totally a free ranging flock, then they will know when its suppertime by my calling.

Its pretty cool watching their transition.


As for our other broody hen ( the red head) shes doing a great great job. She hasn't moved! Often I look at her to make sure she hasn't turned to stone. Which she hasn't.

Those peeps are due August 10th- really looking forward to that!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment