Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ramble Ramble Ramble no commas.

Homesetadin is at a bit of a standstill.
And thats ok.

As I look out the window during the day, I can just see the cold.

Even the chickens want to stay inside.


Did a hive check last week when the weather was a bit warmer. I was sad, but not surprised to see my final hive didn't make it. Upon dismantaling the thing I saw a great number of bees.  There was more than I had last year in the hive that made it. No signs of mites, no unhealthy looking gals.... Plenty of pollen and stores. A beautiful queen frozen in time surrounded by her court.

A bit of a depressing site.

But anyways I broke it all apart and set aside the equipment for this spring....  The bees this year will have plenty of pollen to get them started.  I hate to manipulate mother nature too much but I think that I will try some pollen patties this year to encourage the brood production. Its worth a shot to have a crap ton of bee's and see if it helps at all. Might mean some more swarming but eh- been there seen that.......( like a gagillion times now.)


As for the hens- they have been given a break. No lamps set on timers to give them more "daylight," to entice them into laying more eggs.  The older hens deserve a rest and the younger gals need a break.  All are happy and I have some still in their molt. Those gals look crappy, but I know it won't last. The girls that came out of their molt about a month ago look beautiful and full of feathers.  Always neat to see a slight change in the feather color when they do come back in.

The chicks are fat and sassy and coming into their own.  All brood at night together and their have been less fights between the gals now that we have the gentlemen to keep them in line. The roosters nip any hen pecking in the bud as soon as they see it.  So far no rooster has tried to face off with me yet- but I'm ready for when it does happen.

Surveyed our land last weekend before this cold snap.  Walked the property to talk about the ponds we will be digging and the koi that we will be raising. (Yup you read that right) but more on that later.  We are excited to get back to the Amish auctions again this year (now that we physically can!) and we have already received the letter from the Amish telling about the estimated prices for certain crops.  We are thinking about sticking to mainly our first years best sellers, with a few odds and ends for ourselves.  We are also working on a pumpkin patch for the fall.

Yesterday feeling cooped myself, I got some seeds started. Mainly just some flowers with sunflowers included. Hoping to have luck with them this year, as I haven't in the past.  The hens will enjoy them, as will I:)


Our little one just finished with four months of continuous teething, only to pop four teeth out at once.  The last one has just poked thru, and it was just no no noooo fun for her.  Sleepless nights were comparable to what the Navy Seals go thru.  We have a tough little chick on hand but I'm hoping she gets a bit of a break from working those teeth out!

Thats all for now. Because as I type she is waking up:)

No comments:

Post a Comment