Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Two Oh One Trrree.

2013.
I'm radioactive.



I said it all artsy like in the title to get your attention.

Hopefully it worked.

But alas no artsy stuff here.


No, I'm rather un artsy.


sorry.. just some boring writing.



SO while I'm hopped up on the energy drinks, and my sweet pea is taking her cat nap I'll do just some of that, boring writing stuff. Hopefully you find it in your heart to bear (rah) with me.


Amoungst (typed like that to make it look smart)  the New Years resolutions that I have been reading online, and hearing on TV, I find myself (for the first time) making some of my own. But not without thought.

I'm looking forward to this spring, (but not quite yet cause this cold is wicked awesome, and their ain't nothing like stacking wood)  to see whats in store for our little homestead.  I could make some really long paragraphs describing everything but one of my New Years Resolutions was to simply.  So instead of wordy lengthy passages, (and because my daughter takes such short naps) I will instead list things.

I like list.

Chickens:
  This year now that we have the three roosters, who are -ahem- really showing off their roosterness I might say, I'm hoping for one of the hens to go broody.  Really hoping its the Buff Orpington, because they make such sweet, and protective Mommas.

If so- then I will get her to hatch out as many chicks as possible.  There is nothing quite like watching the miracle of life and the struggle to survive emerge from a shell in just 21 days.  Quite spectacular really.

Bee's:

Been wondering if I should do it this year. Part of me says Nah.. cause the past two years have been crap. (A total of six hives lost) and the bee charmer part of me says - "you suck at charming," because of all the hives lost.   BUT after hearing several useful talks at the bee shop down the street (true story) I find that I might not lack in charming skills rather outside forces are to blame for the past two years of sucky bee management.

IE: Nature.

So we will see how many hives I order for the spring.  Depends on how much caffeine induced enthusiasm I have on ordering day I guess.

New animals...(shhh don't tell David)

I really want some ducks.  Just for fun. Maybe eat some of their eggs. But mainly because I've become hopelessly obsesses with the show Duck Dynasty, and I really want to name a few ducks Willie, Jase, and Si. Possibly Miss Kay.


Ponds:  If you build it- they will come. (More on that later)

As far as mental health stuff- simplify. simplify simplify.

Part of me thinks I'm on the verge of becoming a hermit (and I'm really ok with it) because I have an immense lack of desire to go out and "do the things I used to do." But honestly those "things," don't hold value anymore to me.  Whats valuable is the time I get to spend with my two gifts from God and the loving people who raised me on earth.

Its all about family. I don't miss socializing. At all.

Sigh- what a relief it is to say that.

Stacking wood.
Ducks.
late night Tv while our daughter sleeps.
Dogs.
Chickens.
Trying my hand at cooking.
Traveling to Mass.
Chatting with farmer friends.
Seeing my nieces and nephews flourish.
watching the birds from the kitchen window while I wash bottles.
slathering on lotion to my dry cracked hands.
grilling while it snows.
getting the fire ready before my husband comes home.
Having our daughter chase me while I vacuum
Having our daughter tug at my pants to be held.
chugging coffee.
smoothing back the bed head hair of my daughter while she rubs her eyes.
smelling the cold.
watching the sun set.
Shutting up the chicken coop.
Feeding a fox.
Doing whats important to MY family and not giving one shit what anyone thinks of me anymore.
That's whats important.



Reveling in Gods glorious work around us.

That's 2013.





2 comments:

  1. Andy really wants to surprise you can get an angus calf for you. I keep telling him that is not the type of thing you do as a surprise.....

    ReplyDelete