Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chicken Down.

I walked out to check on the lower 41 and quickly realized we were down to just 40...


Yes folks, we lost a dear feathered friend.

One of our four blondes, the youngest one to be exact, had her life taken from her by a hawk.

How do I know this?

When I walked out to their yard, I saw the hawk "getting her fill," of what was left of the chicken. Sadly, but thankfully, it didn't look like the chicken knew what actually hit her. There was no blood, no feathers sprawled all over the place- nothing. Just what was left of the pretty blonde, and a hawk sitting on top of her.

To make matters worse, the chickens were in the yard while the hawk sat there eating one of their friends. Seemingly unaware of the danger that was around them.

Did the chickens call up the hawk to do this deed?
Did they quickly make friends with the hawk to lessen their chances of being next?
Or was some sort of feathered inner wild side that was unleashed upon the unexpected crime come out of the chickens, and they joined the carnage?

I feel pretty bad about the poor girl.
I really, really, love my chickens.

But now I am questioning if I should fear for the rest of them- or be in fear of the rest of them.

11 comments:

  1. How tragic!! So sorry to hear this news. Did I gather from an earlier post that you are in the hospital until you give birth??? Please let me know. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Clark! Thank you for the prayers they are all heard!! I was in the hospital yesterday- I ended up having some small contractions just before coming into work. My midwife sent me to the hospital. The baby was just fine during all of it but sent me home with the orders to eat and drink more. Our baby girl is so active she's burning up all that I consume, causing some early contractions. Crazy but so thankful to God that she is A OK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. Organic chicken

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comments will be visible after approval

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what that Hawk was thinking? I'm gonna bring some biscuits and gravy next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Edith? When I finally found my bifocals I read your story. It's hard for me to see. I'm getting old. Well anyways, I was so frightened that that terrible Hawk got your chicken. I've been dreaming about this repeatedly! I can bear to think of it. The poor chicken. I'll have to have you over for Tea. We can have a talk about this terrible event. Toot tales
    -Unise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Edith I'll come ova at sevin so we can watch da Wheel. Hows Harry's new hips doin?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would cross strings over the top of the pen be an effective deterent for the hawk in the future? I have seen them use this for sea bird nests on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! All that I have read said that fishing line would be the most effective- and less terrible to look at. Guess what I'm doing today!

    ReplyDelete