Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lies told to a Pregnant Mum.

So long toes!



Buy Maternity Clothes!!! 

Whoohoo! So exciting! I remember, just those few short seven months ago going out and buying maternity jeans as soon as I found out about our little miracle!  I couldn't fit into them quite yet, and it took me a bit to realize that they would continuously fall down until I actually had the belly to hold them up. Sure I felt bloated and pregnant right away, but the belly was not like it is today. She was just the size of a lentil bean and here she is now over a foot long!  So when I first put those full belly panel jeans on, and they fit nice and loose and comfortable, I thought to myself- wow- this is gonna be great! I'll feel like I'm wearing pajama jeans for nine months- great!


Not so much.

Lately, as our belly bump grows, those jeans are getting more snug.  By the end of the day, the legs fit tighter from swelling, and the belly panel just seems to cut and squish, instead of holding up my jeans.  If they stretch a bit and fall down, I walk around with parts of the jeans where they shouldn't be, and it makes me feel even more like a giantess.  I have maintained gaining on the lower end of the appropriate weight gain, and exercise regularly, which really helps with the self esteem of your changing body, but still you can't escape the third trimester poundage coming on in preparation of future feed stores and energy for the miracle about to come. And it comes on fast!

So I google this.

"third Trimester jeans."

?

What? No such thing?!

Man- I love chat forums.

It comes to find out that all those maternity jeans that I spent money on- work mainly for first and second trimester. Only.

What? Why didn't anyone tell me?! Oh- I should have read the reviews........

And the trick of wearing your normal jeans, unbuttoned, with only and elastic band tied around the button to hold them up- yeah, same thing, great for the first and second trimester "bloat feeling."

So what is the deal with third trimester clothing? Do they sell any jeans that would comfortably fit? Yes, but the are 189 dollars. And let me tell you, I am WAY to cheap to spend that kind money for the remaining two or so months. And after looking up reviews on more affordable jeans that are cute, and nice skinny models sport them beautifully, I see that they are "great for first and second trimester comfort only." (why can't models have hips and butts? Why must they all look like thirteen year old boys sporting a baby bump making you feel bad about your own, curves, bone structure, hips, boobs, butt, everything?!?) 

So whats my alternative?

More chat forums suggest yoga pants!

Sigh again.

Now I love yoga pants. For working out or lounging around the house. But I do have a bit of a tif regarding ladies who do everything including "go to the bars," in yoga pants. Just because they are more flattering than sweatpants doesn't make them legal to wear as a fashion statement, or any less of a sweat pant. They are called yoga pants for a reason- yoga- working out- doing housework- sweating. Not- go throughout your day in them and then straight into bed only to get up and do it all again. If you have the time to put on makeup then you have the time to change your pants. There. Opinion stated.

Ok, so another suggestion was to "go to your closet and look for those jeans that were just a little too big before you were pregnant!" I laughed out loud....people have such things? Not this girl. All my jeans "just fit."

But after looking at my closet I come across a bunch of dance pants I used to wear EVERYDAY while I taught ballroom dancing! Whooo~!!! .......But they are black, and stretchy, and might possibly make me come across as one of those "non sweating yoga pant wearing girls."  Unless I wear ballroom like clothing, and wear my hair in extreme again, then maybe I can get away with it, but right now I don't have the guts, (or the abs) to do so.

Next option- "buy a size or two up from your normal jean size! Get them on clearance and save some money!"

Ok, Ok, I like this idea, but have a seriously, vain, mental block as to buying jeans in a bigger size. I'm just being an honest girl.

Last suggestion-

"Wear overalls!"

I questioned this.

People still wear them? 

(Importance of reading well) I saw that this chat forum was from 2005 and happened in Great Britain. 

Ok cool- people don't wear them anymore. Overalls are meant for the baby you carry. Not Mum.


So whats a Mum to do? Go to Marshalls and try on alot of jeans and pants and just give into the buy a size or four up from your normal. Now I might come home with some black dressy mom pants, or leggings of all colors, or even a pair of jeans that make me look like a garbage man, but hey- I will be comfortable. It is now my mission to find third trimester comfort!

So whats the moral of this third trimester story?

The moral is that the uncomfortable, fat, swollen, aching feeling that I have in an ever changing body that is no longer "mine," is the best discomfort I have ever felt.
(Also- women who say "they fit into their regular jeans their entire pregnancy" flat out lie. They lie like the models sporting pregnancy jeans. Ain't no such thing.)

When I come home after standing on my feet for eight hours at work, and change into pj's, sit on the couch with my husband and watch as our baby dances, makes all the discomfort and the anger towards jeans vanish. I will for the next few months revel in the change that this body is going thru to house this precious baby. I would not trade this body for another. No way. Sure I can't wait to be able to tie my shoes in less than fifteen minutes- but I will cherish the fifteen minutes it now takes to do so.

I can't wait to meet our little girl, but I can wait to take in all these new feelings and changes and lock them away in my good memory box:) Until then I will not look at the sizes of my jeans but instead of the fact that there is a baby girl ready to knock down doors in this world, in my belly right now. It ain't about the size of clothes you are wearing but the fact the God gave you a being to care for.  Soon enough I will be running around the house chasing after our little girl, and I will do so with a body I "remember." But I will also love these quiet moments of her kicking me after I "wake her up," or watching her dance after I eat supper.

Thank you God for Your love<3

4 comments:

  1. " it makes me feel even more like a giantess"

    oh sister, i feel you. i could say a million "amens" to everything you expressed here!

    i am so encouraged by the perspective aof thankfulness and awe that the Lord has given you about the little one you are carrying. you are SO right that considering the daughter (or perhaps son in my case- who knows!) the Lord has entrusted to you and gifted you with really does redeem all the discomfort, insecurity, and agitation that comes along with growing into a body that you don't recognize, that's not "yours."

    you are the best, Lauren! love you and praying for your guy and your little dance-arina inside!

    -michelle, adam, and baby-to-come

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle- I literally just looked at your pictures to see what "jeans you might be wearing," and could say all of the same to you! I love your perspective, joy, and humor when it comes to the changing pregnant body, and I'd be telling a lie if I didn't say you slightly inspired me!!!! You may say that you feel all these discomforts- but your pictures really show nothing but glow! You are the epitome of a beautiful pregnant woman and God has made sure of that! I really admire you alot:), and I look at your month ahead of me as inspiration and the ability to have such joy about the biggest change your body will go thru! I love your pictures!!!!! I will be praying for your big day to come, and that God over flows your heart with love the moment you meet your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lauren, you are my "fat and sassy" hero! i love love love that we get to share some experiences even though our little homesteads and big bellies are separated far and wide! i will be praying the same for you as the end of pregnancy draws near. i can't imagine what life will be like when our little ones make their big entrances into the world, but i know it will be good. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) I feel for ya. But I did just suck it up and bought a size up on clearance. I was cheap and desperate. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete