Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Monday, May 9, 2011

An answer for Nicole

My Friend Nicole asked me a question the other day about beekeeping.  It was a simple question that I get asked often and I usually give the same ol answer.  But for whatever reason when she asked the question, it had touched my heart in such a way that I thought I would share it with everyone.



It was a two part question and her first question was about honeycomb and if its good to eat.

The honeycomb that the bee's make will be completely edible. I will be able to take it from the hive to my mouth persay- but- the hive that I have and the one coming will not produce any honey for harvest this year. Whatever honey these gals make will be for their own consumption and survival this winter.  Next year when the hive is bigger and if they are healthy they will produce up to 30 pounds of honey crop.  It also depends on the nectar flow of the flowers in June- lots of nectar flow means more honey:) God's simple equations are so cool. Consuming the comb itself is just as beneficial and delicious- its chewy:)

As for the second part of the question- I really thought hard about this. I get asked it often and I usually just give the same old answer- "Bee's are important, and I've been fascinated by them since I was a kid". ( ask Marc:) we threw rocks at beehives just to watch them swarm) But always in my head I know that there is more meaning than just those two answers- so I thought hard for a couple days and this is what I can come up with thats the best way to describe how I feel.
Picture your favorite band and all they mean to you. You love their sounds, their vocals, the lyrics, the mood each song can put you in, they places they can take in your mind, seeing them perform live, how you feel fullfilled after seeing their show- ALL those emotions!  Now your best friend might think your favorite band stinks, but you know what, you don't really care, because to you they envelope music and make you feel like they are singing to you.....thats what bee keeping is like to me. Bee's are the lyrics and they sing a beautiful song everyday.....and you know what- its ALWAYS a happy, good, song that describes God.  I see God in those little bee's.  I feel close with Him and His creative little works.  These bee's are oblivious to all that is wrong in the world, and each time I visit their home they remind me of just how oblivious they are.  Each time I look in their home happiness is happening. Babies being made, cared for, nourished, and growing. Community taking place at its finest!  Bee's loving, helping, guarding, protecting, greeting, and dancing for one another! (yes bee's dance, but more on that later) They are living the way we will some day live in Heaven.  What a work to see!  They write happy lyrics to God's wonderful music.  They are His little symphony.  And that is why I love keeping them in my heart and hive:)




Thankyou so much for asking<3

3 comments:

  1. I love this. You are such an artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. A lot. I can relate to it so much. I so appreciate what you are saying about seeing God through the bees. I've always felt like this about God and nature... that the more you're acquainted with His creation, the more you see HIM in His creation. And I feel like since I've learned about bees more through your blog, I've come to appreciate them more. ;) Beautiful post, L!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole- thank you so much for triggering this..... God is the artist and we are in His work everyday:)

    Meg- Thank you for saying that<3 <3 Love you much!!!

    ReplyDelete