Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

So I gave into a blog.......

I'd first like to start off by saying that I have been antiblog for as long as blogging became a drawn out longer version of your status updates.  But alas- here I am, beginning the journey of long drawn out status updates, and "here's what I'm doing post."  But- I come with a promise.  My promise is there will be no blog post about what a fabulous gourmet chef I'm becoming, or about what a wonderful photographer I am, or even the fact that I can design the interior of your house better than Pottery Barn, Ethan Allen, and some other expensive place.  Why you ask- because it would all be a lie.

I'm starting this blog as a simple, honest way to describe our journey into becoming farmers. I want this to be as humble and as humorous as possible, and I am open to advice.  Best way put- my husband and I were borderline city slickers who traded it in to live on a nine acre lot, with a house from the 40's (no heat might I add) and give homesteading a try.  We have no idea what we are doing- but we are doing it:)

We bought the house in July of 2010 with the idea that we could now have a nice little garden, and I could start my journey into beekeeping ( a longtime dream that I had since I was a kid). Also, having all this space would allow my husband to expand his business (Living Reef Aquariums design and maintinance) and have a place to put his toys.  But as we closed in on winter, and bunkered down with our dogs, the ideas started to grow.

Our idea for this place first and foremost is to have it be a stomping ground for our friends and family. We feel that God has blessed us immensly with our house and as two people who love, love, company we want this place to be the place to be at. Secondly we felt that possibly- just ever so possibly we could open a farm stand.  We are located on a pretty busy road, and happen to sit on top of a hill- we thought- hey we might have an ideal spot!  My husband being the business genius that he is and the ability to see the aspect of making money in most hobbies, and my ability to allow my inner earthy crunchiness gurgle out without too much granola being eaten brought us to this point here.  We have cleared land, plowed a garden, aquired about 15,000 bee's (and growing) chopped wood, got a chicken shack, and are going thru the legals of being able to sell produce all in a few months time.  So this here blog thingamaging is to show you the journey as we make it, and hope that you can get a few laughs out of it:)

5 comments:

  1. Yay!! Can't wait to read all about your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will really like this blog. You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sigh ... i hate to say it but you're living my life ;]
    and i'm gonna LOVE this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! Hopefully I can make it entertaining enough to have you want to read it or check in. If not please feel free to use as a sleeping aid.

    ReplyDelete