Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hmm.


so much depends upon
a red wheel barrow
glazed with rain water
beside the white chickens.
I was 18, just out of high school and in college for my English Lit major. (yah- I went and got two degrees?! Who wouldva thunk?)
In class after the professor read this poem, as we read along with it, I thought to myself. "This is terribly stupid."   
I was into reading Victorian literature (what a girl) and I snobbily looked down on most forms of poetry, unless of course it was Billy Shakes and his oh so loving sonnets...
look- I was young.
But back to the story-
As I thought to myself that this was simply the dumbest poem in history something occured that didn't quite happen that often- I started paying attention.
The professor at the time broke this poem down word by word, and little by little my heart lightened and my mind opened. This "stupid," poem now was the center of my thinking, and eventually the one poem that I always resort back to in my mind.  Anytime I wanted to impress someone with my knowledge of someone else's pen- I talked about this poem particularly.
You see I have this "thing," about me. When I really enjoy something whether it be a chocolate bar, a rock, dancing, or this poem- I want other people to get the same enjoyment out of it as well. Its almost like I want to tell them all about it to see the estatic reaction that I assume they would have. And when I don't get that reaction out of someone its almost as if I want to force them to like it. Sometimes this entails beating someone into submission with a sneaker but that doesn't happen that often. (kidding.......really.)
Example:
I always danced. Since I was a four year old I have been on the dance floor. I grew up in dance shoes and I loved every second of it. Later when I was in college I took some ballroom lessons and I was hooked. I begged the owner of the studio to let me work there even if it meant just sweeping floors and he gave me a chance. I later went on to compete in the New England circuit for seven years placing first in swing, and smooth. By teaching the thing that I loved most at the time, helped me to get other people to love it as well. When you have a deep passion for a subject and pass that passion on to someone else it gives you such a high. 
But that passion got taken away from me from a serious car wreck. I could drawl on about that but I'd rather not bore you to tears, and it was a good thing. I would not be who I am, or where I am if it wasn't from that "beautiful collision." Anyone catch my drift on that phrase? If not I encourage you to look it up<3
Anyways, the reason why I am posting this poem is for you to enjoy its simplistic meaning. And also because I now (after eleven years) I enjoy the signifigance of this poem on a daily basis. 
So much depends upon a red wheelbarrow (red= color of life and heart and love. wheel barrow= work, toil and earth. Notice that wheel and barrow are seperate? Don't reinvent the wheel, its perfect the way it is:) )
Glazed with rain water (Glazed meaning its cold representing the seasons. Rain and water= weather and the importance of water for life. Life being the red wheelbarrow. Back to Red=life, love, heart and wheelbarrow = dirt, clay, earth)
beside the white chicken (white= new, pure, as snow. Clean. Chicken= food provided in form of flesh, and the egg=ing birth and newity. Feed on the flesh it is provided for you. The chicken is dependent on what comes out of the red wheelbarrow and the water that will quench its thirst.)
Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.  For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes.  Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your lifeSince you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?    “Consider how the lillies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith!  And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.  For the world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.  But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.     “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

1 comment:

  1. Lit analysis for the win!! Also, I totally do the same thing when I love something - I want everyone around me to love it as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete