Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

"What's with the cape? Why the pants tucked into the tube socks?"

So as I have previously posted - we now have a "pet," fox.

It started one month ago today. We were having our weekly prayer group meeting at our house. The guys were outside sitting in the yard while us ladies were chatting it up in the house. Around 9 David comes into the house saying "there is a fox hanging around."

It seems as if he fearlessly come trotting up and stumbled upon David and his friend sitting in the yard. Knowing that foxes "like," chickens David got up and started yelling at it to scare it off- he ran but came right back. By the time the us girls came out side, this little fox was hanging around near our porch and looking oh so cute. I had grabbed some hotdogs so David started feeding him.

This little guy came around ten each night. Not a night went by that he wasn't there. Whether we were outside or just coming home around that time, he would be there. Each night whether we saw him or not I left out a chunk of meat or a hotdog, and by morning it would be gone. (Please see previous post about the chickens too) He was beautiful- big bushy tail, big ears, big red eyes, big white teeth, and I had melted.

He took to David first. Coming up to him and just being wary of me. Throwing him food he got closer and closer until last Thursday- he ate a chunk of steak out of David's hand (previous post) Since this last Thursday he has eaten out of our hands each night, and has started to lose his fear of us. My parents are here this week and as we sit on the porch at night, he comes trotting up and patiently waits as one of us goes inside to get his handout on the steps. Last night was his big breakthrough- he sat on the porch and waiting for each piece of meat instead of running off after he took a chunk. He just stayed there.....

Now last night we could really see that his big bushy tail was barely there- and that his black book were scabby and not too good looking. Looking it up we found out that he has mange and this could be devastating to his health.  A fox left untreated could be dead in four months. As I have mentioned before- God gave me a soft heart for soft things, and as this little guy comes around my Fantastic Mr. Fox ( David) has grown a soft heart for him too. I am an avid animal lover, and have cared for wild animals before. I am not going into this without any lack of knowledge, or understanding of wild animals.

Today we are heading to Tractor Supply ( the coolest place ) to get some treatments for him. It will be an injection that we can inject into his food and treat him over the course of six weeks.

The more he comes into my mind the more I look up about these animals and more I learn the more I love.  I know that it is not suggested to feed wild animals, and domesticate them, but we are looking to be kind to one of God's beautiful creatures that obviously needs a little love. My game plan is to not have the fox living in our house by any means ( and I feel that I need to say that to anyone who might be reading this from that Peta, Sarah McLachlan company who will pull a nutty) But our objective is to remain friendly with a creature who has been remaining friendly with us.  Its nice company at ten each night to see his big red eyes look at us and quietly chomping on what he's trusting us to give him. For anyone who knows us- Fantastic Mr. Fox is our favorite movie. If you haven't seen it I highly suggest you do, but bring your weird sense of humor with you. So having a little fox in our company, is pretty cool.....

More to follow ( of course) and as always ask away any question:)

1 comment: