Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Friday, August 26, 2011

Ain't no Mamma hen in the den.


The latest on the golden gals:

Out of the three hives (or more like - two and a half hives) only one is doing EXACTLY what it should be doing.  This one here pictured above is the Carniolans (my middle hive) and their beautiful meeting outside on their porch last night.  I assume they congregated to discuss hurricane plans for Sunday and also to discuss how they wish the bee charmer who interrupts them regularly would interrupt them right now with more sugar syrup.

As far as the Buckfast hive ( the one that swarmed and the one I split) I was a little dissapointed when I opened them up. 

The week before I HAD seen a queen. One had emerged and was being followed by the worker bee's.  I know I saw it cause I sat and watched her unmistakable body move about the hive investigating. She was lovely looking. But upon opening the hive soon after- I saw no queen. and no good brood pattern.  I know the queen isn't in there because the eggs that have been laid have been laid multiple times in one cell.

You see what happens in a queenless hive is the female workers bees will begin to lay eggs. Since they are not a fertilized bee they lay unfertilized eggs, and not well either. I found about thirty eggs in one cell and then random eggs in other random cells.  If the queen was present you would see one egg per cell in. She lays a "good brood pattern,"meaning the eggs and cells are in groupings. Usually the middle of the frame underneath a rainbow pattern of pollen. I kid you not.

The same goes for the split portion of the hive (or the other half of them.) No queen and wacky egg patterns.

The bee's however look healthy and busy. Bringing in pollen and capping honey. Even building comb. 

So what do I do?

If this was a month ago I'd probably cry. But as my first year of beekeeping is coming to an end I find that mistakes made and natures way of telling us "you can't control me," I am more taking the punches as they come..... ( I mean I am from Mass- I should know about unwelcomed punches.)

Anyways- I cannot find a Buckfast queen anywhere these days. (Yah you order bee's online much like you order shoes off Amazon) However- I did find a Carniolan Queen and read that you can have a Buckfast Carniolan cross breed.....

I ordered- we will see what happens.

worst case scenario I will spilt the Carniolans and form them into two hive giving the spilt the new queen.

So what will happens to the queenless Buckfast if they do not except the new Majesty? 
They will die.
Its sad. But as well as their choice in the making. 

They could have all swarmed but half stayed feeling an importance to their hive. They raised a queen but she is no longer found. They can either except the one I ordered or not. We will see and hope for the best.

In the meantime, with the up and coming Hurricane Irene, I have to say I have been watching their beehavior.

Its interesting- they are very, very quiet.......and still.

They still amaze me and I am forever their fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment