Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Skin rashes and other fun summer ailments!

"Calamine lotion ain't got nothing on me-!"


As a kid growing up in Massachusetts I didn't know what poison ivy was. Not because our great Commonwealth doesn't have an abundance of it- but because I could roll in it and never get it. I never had any terribly blistered, agonizingly itchy skin. The kind of skin that itches SO bad that you look up and diagnose yourself with every skin disease there is on the internet kind of itch. The only time I ever had a terrible reaction which caused my skin to break out in hives was when I got bit by a spider when I was five. was it a radioactive spider you ask? I will never tell.

Anyways- upon moving down below the Mason Dixon four years ago, I started to receive allergies as if they were going out of style. In Mass I grew out of those allergies but here in MD I have them tenfold. Fall allergies, winter asthma, and now this- poison flippin ivy. I had a bout of it last year that lasted well into the winter and left me scarred.

This time:
I was playing in one of my weed gardens the other day being careful to annihilate anything and everything that didn't resemble a flower and I saw it. Red/green shiny leaves. I yanked the jerk out of the ground and chucked it. But alas- somehow I manage to (in the process) get it on my neck, wrist, back and shin (pictured above) 

Its agonizing.

 Partly because shaving that part of your leg is impossible and I have an strong aversion to leg hair. The other part being that not only does it itch, but it feels as though that part of my leg is being eaten from the inside out.

Cool part of the story- the itch on my neck has been scratched into looking like a vampire bite.






Lessons learned.

Next summer requires a biohazard suit when working outside.
Anti itch cream needs to be called into the docs alot sooner.
Vampire like looking bite marks on your neck are only noticed by yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment