Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Subtitles should be read.

Bad news first-

I'm miffed for lack of a better term.

Not mad, not angry but just eh-

at the bee's.

Now see I went in there tonight and upset them a great deal. I moved stuff around. Opened the first brood box and took out frames. And its August. Wrong time to do it- but it needed to be done.

The bee's give me a roller coaster of emotions. For the past three days they have been coming in HEAVY with pollen! Hooray! Thats a sure sign that babies are being born-  I was elated. All THREE HIVES were bringing in pollen.

So tonight I go in to feed them with high hopes that I will see a gazillion babies.... And as I get down to the main brood box- nothing. Shcotamoe. I saw some swarm cells (queen babies) so I left them.  Second guessing my every move. And ever so reluctant.

Moving onto the Carniolans (second hive) the first one was so peeved at me that I could hardly do a thing. And it was getting dark. Boo hiss I went into the house and called my Mom.....

Telling her the story and telling her how dissapointed I was and feeling like  failure in bee charming, she lifted up my spirits- she told me in only a way a Mother can, "Lauren, Let Mother Nature do what it does."

sigh*

I feel better.

On a brighter note: The new chickens have "been installed." Meaning, we waited until it was dark and then put the "Roving Gang of Betties, (as a whole)," into the hive, er I mean coop. We put a bunch of them on the roost where they did what any sweet young chicken would do- they cuddle up to the two bullies, and David Ortiz who doesn't like to be touched. That was def a run on sentence but I'm too lazy to fix it and too honest to let you know, that I really don't know how.

Anyways- they are cute but David made a really good point. "The Roving Gang od Betties, (as a whole)," need subtitles. The four Golden ones are aptly named; Blanche, Sophia, Dorothy, and Rose. The seven darker ones will be named; The Unity. Because they are dark and united.

On another brighter note- Ash came up to the porch as I wrote this. 9:55 pm. He was five minutes early tonight.  He ate his three hotdogs tonight and looked into the door and hung out on the porch all by himself.


I don't know if I'll ever get used to having a fox for company.

No comments:

Post a Comment