Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Friday, December 9, 2011

All Creatures of Our God and King.....



So there are alot of deer in Maryland. In fact, I think there are more deer in Maryland than there are pigeons in New York City. But when it comes to a helpless animal, I don't care if its a hairless rat, a cute fluffy bunny, or a surplus style deer.


Last night we got a call from David's Mom letting us know that she saw a fawn laying a path behind her house, seemingly "ok," but not looking to hot. We headed over to take a look bringing with us a dog crate in case we were to take this helpless babe home.

We found it easily- nestled on the side of the path with other deer kind of looking on wondering why it wouldn't get up. As we approached, the fawn mustered up enough strength to bolt away from us and head up towards a hill. When we saw it do that we both breathed a sigh of relief that it was ok ( as in nothing broken?) But as it headed up the hill it lost that strength, slipped, fell, rolled into thistle, and couldn't get back up. David looked at me and said- "Ok we are taking it home."

He was able to pick up the fawn out of the thistle and rest it on the grass so we could get a close look. I did a once over on it checking its eyes, nose, ears, bones, and belly, and saw that this little babe was as clean as can be. No bites, no bumps, no flees, no broken bones ( that we could tell) but we could both see it was thin.

David carried it back to the car were we put it in the crate, to take it home. Our game plan was to try and bottle feed it some goat milk to give it a little norishment, before morning.  I already had a list of animal rehabers in our area that we would call in the morning to come and take it.  As much as I would love to mend this fawn back to health I knew that this was beyond my animal knowledge limit, and it needed someone who has experience in doing so.  We stopped at the store and picked up the milk, and baby bottle ( laughing at the situation that our first baby bottle bought was for a deer)

When we got home Ash was at the door waiting for us. He ran up to the crate with the deer, to check out the new "patient," and then sat and waited for his/her supper. Despite the commotion of our sister, her boyfriend, us, and the dogs all making a racket of noise- Ash was calm.

We took it inside to get it warm, warm up the milk and begin trying to feed this fawn. Once having it inside we could get a real good look at it- and I think we all knew it was too late. Our sister Noelle, who has a heart of gold when it comes to animals, sat with it, and calmed it as it breathed softly. She soothed it by patting it gently, and it wasn't too long before it took its last breaths.......

Researching is what I do best when it comes to wildlife on the computer. And I learned that the most common death of fawns is a type of worm that they get, stealing its feed that it consumes.  After looking at the weight, its loss of strength and the slight bloat to the belly, I've come to the conclusion that this was the case, and we had reached it too late.

So where was its mother? Its hunting season- she could have gotten hit- or she could have left her offspring if it was no longer able to keep up.

I know that there are a number of you who will read this thinking that we are crazy. "Its a stupid deer!" "Its a car killer!" "There are SO many of them who cares if one dies?!"

Well you know what? I care.

God gave me a soft heart for soft things.

I explain this to my patient husband on a somewhat regular basis. I can't help it. Since a child, I have taken in every wounded field mouse, to bird, to even a bat. I may not have a vast understanding of humans, I may be extremely stubborn, and I may even state my opinion one too many times, but you know what- I'm good with animals. And animals are good to me.

I believe that every helpless living creature deserves someone to give them a helping hand if possible. This isn't a sermon but this is a pre-emptive stop to any comments on how foolish I am to try and help a deer.  Its where my heart is lead towards, and its where I feel a fullfillment in caring for His creation.

I have been looking in to become and wildlife rehabilitator for a couple of months now.  Now isn't exactly the ideal time since we have a cub on the way ourselves, but in the following year its something that I would like to seek out........

I haven't said much about this because I don't want to be one of those people who "have a calling every other week," ( cause I easily could) but I want to give this hint so you can see how my heart is honestly softened towards animals.  Its an idea that I will take a long time considering before making any strong commitment. In the meantime I'm enjoying trying to learn all I can about the wildlife and animals that are touching my life at this moment.

We did what we could and that is what I can walk away with knowing.  I am saddened that this little fawn didn't quite have a chance, but I am happy that we tried to give it one.


“But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or ask the birds of the air, and they will tell you. Speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea tell you. Every one of these knows that the hand of the Lord has done this. The life of every creature and the breath of all people are in God’s hand.”

6 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful, beautiful story - I get it. This beautiful little creature was able to spend his last few hours on this earth being comforted and cared for by each of you - instead of alone on a bitter, cold night. You offered him rescue & warmth, and I can SO see Noelle whispering her reassurance as he left this earth....and now he sleeps in Heavenly Peace. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did the best you could. It was a lot more than anyone I know would have done. You shine in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. W o n d e r f u l .... Lauren and David!!!
    I share your passion as well. It is why we have 2 ducks, 2 birds, 2 dogs, 6 fish, 1 bearded dragon and many drop ins and drop outs along the way.(rabbits, birds, oppossum) I have an arrangement with the vet to bring in any animals I cannot bring back to health and to their own natural environment. I love your stories! My concern is that other people will not be as kind and the animals will think all people are friendly. They may approach the wrong people and get hurt themselves. I have duck eggs galore out here if anyone is interested :D
    God bless you and your desires to help His creatures and congrats on your new bambino!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Patti for your comment!!!! And what an awesome vet you must have to help you out in situations of unexpected visitors:) I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment:)It means alot to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Clark:) That makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad that the little fawn didn't make it but happy to know that there are people out there who are willing to help an animal in need, even if it's wild.

    ReplyDelete