Glory Downs Farm

Glory Downs Farm

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Well! You made me shake a lil in my muckboots!

About a half an hour ago I went out to collect the rest of the chickens eggs, while their coop lights were still on.
Knowing that our little red coat comes running when he hears us in the yard I kept my ears open for his little fox-trot. (pun intended)
While I had the coop open and talking to my lady friends about what a great job at work they did today, I heard my buddy come running out of the woods.

I have never drop the coop door closed so fast before in my life.

I don't know what I was expecting- maybe Ash would suddenly become the Chupacabra and violently jump into the coop door and reek havoc on the 41. Maybe he would pull out nunchucks speak to me in the language of ninja's and fight me for the hens? Maybe he was just wondering if I was cooking up eggs again for him tonight.

Either way- he trotted back with me to the house (while I was still shaking) and ran in front of me about three feet as if I was another one of his fox buddies going out together to the Golden Coral.
He waited as I went inside and got him some leftover -ahem- chicken (store bought) and cut it up for him. While he waited he groomed himself and pulled ticks off his shoulder. Somehow it was the cutest tick pulling experience I've had yet. He grabbed two pieces and hid them (poorly) in the middle of the yard and came back to the steps and just looked at me.  There is something about looking into a wild animals eyes that is like no other. Its not that of a dogs- where you know that a loyalty and sweetness reside behind them. And its not that of a cats, where the look they give you says "scratch under my chin please." No its different. When those red eyes look directly into your eyes- not to the side- not at your nose- but at your eyes straight on, you have to look away.  His eyes are as red as his coat. I know I have said it before- but really red. I would pay money to understand his thoughts.

So, uninterested in his chicken (phew) he became interested when I took the trash out. Following me while I filled the bucket and rolled it out the driveway. He followed me back and gave me another minute lookover, grew bored, and left.



He always leaves me grinning.


1 comment: